Search This Blog

24 October 2008

One Week from Tomorrow

It still seems a little unreal, at least to me and to Susan - perhaps to JP too - and we're only going for a month this time. When we started planning, we thought we would shove off and be gone for a year. Even so, actually starting the journey that we've talked about since before my friend Joan gave us the Ann VanderHoof book "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" several years ago seems pretty momentous.
In the funny moments category...JP and Susan had ordered "some" dried mushrooms. They came a couple of days ago (I'll post a photo next week, perhaps with our provisioning inventory, for those of you who are so bored by current events you want to see what we deem necessary to our travels!). JP said to me - "Do you want to divide them into smaller packs?" I said, let's wait until we're on board and I'll use our cute little Seal-A-Meal. He said "Okay...but do you want to take any to Florida?" Pause. I said "Well, sweetie, they ARE going to Florida!" Oh, yeah...
Meanwhile, I've contacted "Gulfstream Jennifer" and we'll probably arrange to have her help with weather windows that would allow us to take some of the journey outside. We're a little nervous (well, at least Susan and I are) at the prospect, but some parts of the ICW are a bit dodgy with our 5 and a half foot draft, so we'd like to try to take advantage of a few inlet-to-inlet runs, at least.
Off to Florida (by air, this time) for a three day weekend. Greetings to our farthest-flung "followers' - JP's parents in Monaco, and our friend Jacques in Zurich.

No comments: